Beth Balmanno is the author of the YA novel Set In Stone and Nine Lives, a middle grade book. She has a BA in English from San Diego State University but freely admits she has learned more in the years after college than she ever did in school. When she isn't writing, traveling or serving as her children's chauffeur, she spends her time molding the youth of America -- as an alternative-learning educator and as a leader in scouting and 4-H. World, look out.
- "I have been writing stories for as long as I can remember.
- I crashed my car -- through my parents' bedroom -- when I was 17. And my dad was with me in the car.
- I believe in fairies.
- I was a military brat and moved around more times than I can remember.
- I saw Jaws when I was six...while living in Hawaii...and it scarred me for life (thanks, Mom!).
- I love turtles. Like, I want a bathtub full of them. I have been known to pull over -- anywhere, any time -- if I see a turtle in the road to help it safely cross. Just call me the Turtle Whisperer.
- I have three kids who somehow manage to simultaneously inspire everything I do and drive me nuts.
- Who would I rather hang out with on a Friday night: teens or adults? TEENS (which is probably why I write YA).
- I majored in English Lit and read Frankenstein seven times throughout college. Guess my professors really liked it...(I do, too!).
- I own the largest cat in the world. And the largest bunny. Seriously. They are MASSIVE.
- I can't think of any job I'd rather have than being a writer."